New OWL user, having noise in my sig chain when connected to a compuer via USB

Home Forums OWL New OWL user, having noise in my sig chain when connected to a compuer via USB

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Martin Klang 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Evan
    Participant

I love building and prototyping new digital effects for my bass/computer rig, but I’m having some issues when connecting the OWL in my signal chain while also connected via a computer. It adds a high pitched, and somewhat variable noise/hiss. I’ve tried to isolate the issue, but have been having a bit of trouble. Is there a quick fix for this that any one knows (USB isolator perhaps)? Or is this a more complex problem that is system specific?

I have my bass running into my pedal board, going out of a DI into an apogee duet, into my computer. The signal goes into Live/Max, and then out to my amp through the Duet. I have a Push, and a Softstep also connected to the computer. I have noticed that the LEDs on the Push do change the nature of the interference.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Martin Klang
    Keymaster

Hi Evan, have you tried powering with an external (Boss-style) 9v dc adapter?

Evan
    Participant

I have tried powering the OWL through my Voodoo pedal power 2, which lessens the amount of noise, but doesn’t eliminate it.

I will run a few more experiments when i get to the studio space tomorrow and see if I can provide any more info.

Im happy to run the owl without connecting to a computer, but automating patch changes, and parameters of the DSP from my computer rig was part of the excitement.

Martin Klang
    Keymaster

Sure, I fully understand that. Try using a separate 9v supply for the OWL, it can help to isolate the noise.
    There is otherwise a jumper hidden underneath the digital board inside the pedal which lets you disconnect USB power completely. That means the pedal _must_ be externally powered, even when USB is plugged in. Apart from that USB will still function normally.
    But before you try that I would recommend you search for possible ground loops in your setup, especially if you have a USB powered audio interface.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News

Links

Follow us on Twitter